This is primarily an in-person role based in Boston, MA
ABOUT ROOM TO GROW
Room to Grow is a nonprofit organization with a vision that one day all parents will have the resources they need to unlock their families’ potential and become champions for babies and their community. Its mission is to offer structured coaching, material goods, and community connections to support parents as they activate their natural strengths and expand their knowledge, so children thrive from the start. Room to Grow was founded in New York in 1998 and has been partnering with families in Boston since 2005, reaching over 1,300 families per year with an annual budget of $5M and a team of 45. The innovative program delivers three highly consequential types of support – parenting education, material goods, and clinical and community referrals. Room to Grow takes a two-generation, preventative, and strengths-based approach to providing comprehensive services for families. Its model ensures that parents receive knowledge, tools, and confidence to raise children who are developmentally and socially ready to learn and to meet their full potential in education, health, work, and citizenship.
As an entrepreneurial and growth-oriented organization, Room to Grow is in the midst of an exciting period of development, as it continues to expand its reach and impact in New York and Boston, and considers markets beyond. In 2020, Room to Grow adapted and digitized parts of its model to continue supporting families during COVID-19, and it will continue to leverage best practices and resources to support low-income communities as circumstances evolve.
For more information, please visit our website.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Room to Grow seeks an Associate, Site Operations. Reporting to the Senior Coordinator, Site Operations, this position is responsible for assisting with the coordination and oversight of all inventory (clothes, toys, books, and gear) including in-kind donation processing, storage, and organization of the Boston Family Center spaces and warehouse space. Our Family Centers are the heart of our organization - a place where families and program team members come together to discuss a child’s needs and a space where children are often free to wander and explore.
The right candidate is personable, detail-oriented, and excited to play a role in facilitating the important work of Room to Grow.
In-Kind Donations/Inventory - Working with the Senior Coordinator, Site Operations, help manage systems for intake, sorting, tracking, storage and display of inventory.
- Arrange for receipt of all in-kind donations.
- Sort and organize large donations; report on quality of items from collection drives and quality and quantity of items from corporate donations.
- Work with the program team to regularly check inventory for priority items. Maintain regular contact about new or unusual donations as well as information on larger quantities of donations.
- Make sure that every item donated is counted using the In-Kind Donations Checklist.
- Work with the team to assist with quarterly spot counts to confirm accuracy of all audits, and EOY count to ensure data fidelity.
- Ensure donation drop-off (messenger pick-ups, collection drives, large donations) calendar is kept up to date, and troubleshoot any issues with the Site Operations team.
- Ensure proper COVID-19 safety protocols are maintained when accepting donations.
Space Maintenance (with support from entire Site Operations team)
- Maintain the organization of the Family Centers and warehouse, ensuring inventory is well-stocked and the displays look presentable.
- Ensure organization of inventory storage, allowing for easy restocking of Family Center.
- Manage overflow so that it is accessible and can be shipped when necessary.
- Oversee shared maintenance of common areas.
Volunteer Program - Act as an onsite point-of-contact for individual volunteers and volunteer groups, ensuring they have a positive experience while meeting the volunteer project goals.
- Oversee ongoing volunteer group projects (could include some evenings and Saturday sessions as needed).
- Facilitate a positive environment where volunteers feel they are contributing to the organization’s success, and as a result, will be interested in volunteering again.
- Strategize group/individual volunteer projects and tasks with the Site Operations team to ensure efficient and effective use of labor.
- Maintain COVID-19 safety protocols and ensure volunteers follow proper procedures when onsite.
External Relations - Always act as a representative of Room to Grow, looking for opportunities to grow partnerships and bring in new supporters.
- Maintain positive relationships with long-term in-kind donors and volunteers, providing personalized and meaningful opportunities to engage and increase involvement/support.
- Identify and act on opportunities to engage with supporters, especially during onsite volunteer sessions.
- Provide advance and on-site support at all regional events (annual Fall Benefit, Spring Breakfast, etc), including supporting the creation of a life-size Room to Grow display at the Fall Benefit.
- Support ancillary Room to Grow projects (Young Professionals Council, Youth Junior Ambassadors, etc) as needed.
Mission and Culture Alignment
Allows a candidate to thrive at Room to Grow and to be highly motivated by the organization’s work and mission. A successful candidate:
- Embodies RtG core values, including integrity, respect, growth, collaboration, community and inclusion; articulates an authentic passion for and unwavering belief in RtG’s mission, demonstrating a commitment to and literacy around the issues of equity that undergird the work.
- Demonstrates comfort with growth and navigates ambiguity and changes in direction with ease, presents as collaborative and flexible with a strong service mentality and ability to navigate a local/national structure.
- Approaches work with a learning orientation, continuously seeking to improve his or her own work and the work of the organization.
Enables a candidate to successfully offer quality programming to RtG families through the efficient management of inventory for all sites. A successful candidate:
- Embodies integrity in their work with special attention to quality assurance and systems improvement.
- Demonstrates expertise in and innate desire to tackle operational challenges in supporting the management of inventory and volunteers to service multiple sites.
- Embodies the growth mindset, taking every challenge as an opportunity to build efficiency.
- Possesses organization skills necessary to manage operational processes including costs, vendor relations, managing orders, etc.
Community & Relationship Building
Enables a candidate to build strong rapport with a broad range of stakeholders, including colleagues, direct reports, and volunteers. A successful candidate:
- Possesses good communication skills and the ability to build relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Is motivated to advocate for Room to Grow as we grow and support management of in-kind donations for multiple sites.
- Thinks about communications as an engagement tool, with the ability to tell the organization’s mission with an inspiring voice and message.
- Is able to initiate, cultivate, and maintain meaningful relationships with key stakeholder groups including the Room to Grow funders, prospects, volunteers, and colleagues (remote and on-site).
Resourcefulness with a Service Focus
Enables a candidate to handle difficult situations that will arise quickly, responsibly, and respectfully with all constituents involved.
- Possesses customer service skills, the ability to anticipate organizational needs and respond to them in a timely and courteous way.
- Is forward thinking, having the ability to anticipate consequences of situations or implications of certain actions, and then to respond appropriately.
- Possesses good judgement in high stress situations.
- A passion for the mission, vision, and core values of Room to Grow
- Inventory or retail experience and/or experience with organization of materials preferred
- Highly organized, resourceful, and solutions-oriented
- Strong project planning skills
- Strong communication skills and comfortable with external engagement
- High level of professionalism, enthusiasm, integrity, accountability, and judgment
- Action-oriented, adaptable, and innovative approach to work
- Flexible work schedule including some evenings and Saturdays
- Able to lift 40 pounds
- Strong Google Suite fluency a plus
- Experience with databases like Salesforce a plus
- Bilingual a plus
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience. Room to Grow is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.
Upload cover letter and resume through our careers page.
We are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. We encourage you to share any required accommodations with email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org, who will treat your requests as confidentially as possible.